Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mexico: 5 days in Paradise

From April 23-27, we went to Rocky Point Mexico on vacation. It was heaven. If you live in Arizona and haven't been to Rocky Point before, I would definitely recommend it. Aaron's parents came down to go with us. It was nice to have them there. It is nice to have someone to help with the kids and we don't get to see Aaron's parents very often.


We stayed in a really nice place. Here are some pictures of the condos we were in. We paid about $175 a night to stay in a place that was bigger than our last house (1800 square feet with a 900 square foot balcony).



This is the complex we stayed in.


This was the master bedroom that Aaron and I had.


The master from the other direction.


We really liked the master bathroom, particularly the big jetted tub.


The living room and dining room.


The balcony.


View from the balcony.


The other side of the balcony. The balcony wrapped 180 degrees around the condo.


The dining room and kitchen.


The second bathroom.


The laundry room.


The kids' bedroom. They loved sharing a room.


Aaron's parents' room.


The hall by most of the bedrooms.


Another view from the balcony.




We got to Mexico early afternoon on Friday. It is only a 4 hour drive from Mesa which makes it a really nice trip. Aaron put TVs on the back of the front seats and so the kids watched movies the whole way there. After we moved our stuff into the condo, we went down to the beach. The first day we got there it was a little cold and so that is why we are wearing long pants at the beach. Aaron built a sand castle. Sterling played baseball with his Grandpa Russell and Aaron. Avalon, Grandma Russell and I explored the tide pools and collected sea shells.








Saturday morning we went shopping in the Old Port area of Rocky Point. I don't think I took any pictures there. Avalon was really tired and had a break down. She and Sterling shared a room and they spent the evening watching movies and eating grapes and rolls. Then they both woke up early. So we went back to the condo. Avalon took a nap and Aaron's mom and I went shopping again. We kind of got lost finding our way back to the Old Port. We ended up almost entering a navy base guarded by a guy with a big gun who kept waving the gun at us. In the evening we had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel. The rest of the day we spent on the beach exploring and in the pool. Avalon got to be a really good swimmer. She loved it.






Sunday morning we spent on the beach. Then we went to the Rocky Point branch for church. It was all in spanish and so I didn't understand a word. Surprisingly, the kids act the same in church regardless of if they understand any of it or not. Of course, right before church, Sterling killed a fire ant with his finger and had a breakdown. A very nice Mexican woman in the bathroom patted him on the back and said "it okay babay" or something like that. I thought it was sweet, but hard to understand. After church, we went down and explored the tide pools on the beach.




The largest hermit crab I have ever seen.


Baby jellyfish.




Monday morning, we went to Shacks Fifth Avenue which is another shopping area. It was fun, but kind of a sad experience. I don't remember Rocky Point being as poor as it seemed this trip and we go almost every year. There were children begging for money saying that they were hungry and wanted the money for food. I wasn't quite sure how to take that or what to do. Partly because they didn't seem terribly hungry. I finally paid one kid a quarter to just stop following us. We bought a lot of stuff and had fun. I have to say I am impressed with my kids. They can shop for almost three hours without complaining. Sterling did start crying once because he was having such a hard time not touching everything. He was particularly frustrated that the adults got to touch stuff and he didn't. We worked out a deal where he got to touch stuff that wasn't breakable. That made him happy. He almost cried a second time when I was negotiating a price on some toys and told him to put them back. I had to explain to him afterwards that it is a negotiation tactic.






One of my favorite things about shopping in Mexico is the negotiating. It makes shopping take a lot longer, but you feel like you are getting a good deal. Aaron laughed at the way I was negotiating and made me negotiate everything. Basically the sales person would give a price, I would give a price significantly lower and then as the sales person started to negotiate I would keep repeating the first price I had given. Usually I got to within a dollar of my initial offer.



We went back to the condo and Sterling and Grandpa Russell went to the beach to play ball and fly a kite. Aaron and I watched a movie and then in the evening we went to a restaurant called The Point, back in the Old Port area. The restaurant is on the end of a dock. The food was good and pretty unique. We ate on the deck which was right on the water and watched the sunset. It was gorgeous and I, of course, forgot my camera. Avalon kept pointing at the boats in the harbor, saying "my boat is coming". One of the boats shot off fireworks at about dusk. It was great.



Tuesday morning we checked out of the condo. We made a quick stop at Shacks Fifth Avenue again. Then we went to the aquarium. The aquarium in Rocky Point is a unique experience. I am suprised that PETA hasn't found them yet. They have some unique stuff, though. They have sea turtles that you can feed. The problem is that if you aren't careful they can also bite you. They have a totally psychotic/derranged sea lion that you can also feed. They sell you the food and then don't warn you that the sea lion will try to bite off your hand if you get to close. Also, I think the sea lion tried to eat my children. It was fun though and I definitely recommend going there. Just be careful because they don't seem to worry too much about patron safety.




Biggest shrimp I've ever seen.


Whale bones.




After that we headed home, exhausted and happy.


1 comment:

Battfam said...

It looks like you had the place to yourself and didn't have to fight crowds. Fun trip!