Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Rest of October Through Today

We had a really fun October.  We always really enjoy Fall and the Halloween season.  This year it was particularly fun because we were in a place where the leaves changed colors and we could grow our own pumpkins.  Growing our own pumpkins wasn't as successful as we had hoped, but it was still fun.
 
Aaron also had fun carving the pumpkins with the kids.  The first pumpkin is Truman's/Aaron's. 
 

This is Sterling's pumpkin.  He was very proud.

This one is Avalon's.




Towards the end of October, we had a big family party with the Batt family.  We had baked potatoes and ate in the garage.  Then we moved the party downstairs into the toy room.  Aaron and Sterling had a lot of fun decorating the garage.  They even went out and bought a fog machine and some new decorations.  Avalon put together all of the centerpieces with the gourds and pumpkins we grew in the garden.
I got the recipe for these finger cookies off of pinterest.  I really liked how creepy they looked and they tasted good, too.
These worms were made from jello molded in bendy straws.  They looked so real that people wouldn't eat them.  Also a pinterest idea.



 
 
I got new pillows for the living room and had it all decorated for Halloween.



This tree has shrunken heads that the kids made from peeled apples that we dried.
 
 
These are felt leaves in a garland.  I made them new this year, too.





Quin is getting to be a big boy.  He has started to respond and smile at people.



Avalon saw some tents made to go over beds on pinterest and really wanted one.  This is what we came up with.  She loves it.

I have really been enjoying thrift store shopping in Idaho.  It seems to be harder to find good furniture here, but there is some cool vintage stuff.  I found this vintage bread box at a thrift store.  It was yellow when I found it.  I decided that I wanted to do my kitchen in blue so I painted it.

This is a 1950's vintage dresser that I found at a local auction house.  I bought it for Sterling.  I stripped the white paint off of it and stained it.  He loves that he can see the age in it.
 
 Here is the finished product.



 
I also found this hundred year old window. Aaron and I turned it into this cupboard.
 
 
This is a 1930's vintage Rival juicer that I found at Deseret Industries for $2.  It was white enamel and so I painted it blue also.
 
 
We had some snow before Thanksgiving and so Sterling made a snow Turkey.


Over Thanksgiving we took the kids to the King Tut exhibit at the Museum of Idaho in Idaho Falls.  It had recreations of a lot of the stuff found in King Tut's tomb.







The museum also has a kids room that is a lot of fun.




Here is another one of my recent projects.  Our entertainment center was really beat up and so I painted it a flat black.  It looks much better.

I had fun decorating a mantel this year.  It is the first time we have had a fireplace to hang our stockings on.













We took the kids to see Santa this year.  Quin didn't cry which was amazing.  Everyone of the other kids have cried the first time they went to see Santa.  Truman on the other hand was not at all happy to go and see Santa.  He has been very anti-Santa this year.  He keeps saying "No Santa".  He does not want to have anything to do with Santa.  I asked him if he would be happy so that we could take his picture with Santa and he just kept saying "No happy.  No happy."  We haven't been able to convince him that Santa is a good thing yet.
 
In November, my mom bought my kids an elf from the Elf on a Shelf story.  The kids love finding the Elf every morning and he has turned out to be a very mischievous/naughty elf.  According to Sterling they call him the naughty elf at school.  He ate a bunch of ice cream and has tried to break into the kids' advent calendar and presents.
 
 
The following (side ways) video is what the kids have been doing lately for fun.  It is a little crazy, but they love it.
 

 
Aaron and I have also been working on the downstairs room.  Aaron bought a giant fathead of BYU's football stadium.
 Then I made BYU curtains for the room.
Well that is what we have been up to here.


No comments: