Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sunday Dinner Fauxpa

I haven't posted in a while, so I am going to publish several posts tonight.


Aaron invited his friend Rick to dinner a few Sundays ago and I was in charge of the cooking. It didn't go well. I am not a baker and so we usually buy dessert. I am fine if I am cooking meat or something like that, but I can't even bake cookies. Well, I forgot to have Aaron buy dessert for Sunday. I went through my pantry in a panic to find something to bake. We had a yellow cake mix that I decided to do something with. We also had a package of dream whip. So, I baked the cake in a 9 x 13 pan and then made a mousse from the dream whip and some hot chocolate. What can I say, I wasn't sure how to turn it chocolate with cocoa and we didn't have any pudding. Then I cut the cake in half so that it was two 9 X 6.5. I coated one with the dream whip and put the other half on top. It wasn't looking too bad at this point.


Then I was on to make frosting. Well, we didn't have any powdered sugar in the house and so I found a recipe that used egg whites and regular sugar. I doubled the recipe thinking I would need more frosting. Then I put everything in the double boiler and started beating it with an electric mixer like the recipe called for. Pretty soon the whole concoction had grown to the point that it was a giant bubble on the top of the double boiler. I'm not sure I let it stiffen enough, because when I poured the frosting on the cake it was oozing off the edges of the plate.


At this point, Aaron had a great idea to move the cake back into the pan to prevent the frosting from running everywhere. He used two spatulas and the cake split in half. Below is the result.


Dinner only got worse from there. I was making lasagna and I had checked to make sure we had noodles before sending Aaron to the store. When I went to use the noodles, though, they were half gone. So, I got the brilliant idea to just mix some spaghetti noodles in with it. It looked weird, but I think it would have worked except for the fact that the cake was in the pan I normally use for lasagna and so I had to use a bigger pan. I don't think I had enough liquid to use the bigger pan because some of the noodles were really hard.





Ugh, what a day!

5 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

HAAAAAAAAAA Tallie... I loved your cake. It turned out awesome looking. Well I guess God had to give you some imperfections since you are a total genius. I can see that you didn't get the cooking skills. I'd rather be a genius than a good cook though because you can get rich with your brains and then pay someone else to cook for you for the rest of your life. Good luck with your future cooking endeavors!

Battfam said...

What you need is a neighbor with a well stocked pantry. Many times my neighbors have come to my rescue and I've borrowed what I needed so I didn't have to be quite as ingenious as you had to be. You were very brave. You didn't mention how the cake tasted. Did anyone try it? Just wondering.

Aaron said...

The cake actually tasted pretty good. It was VERY sweet. My friend asked for seconds, so it couldn't have been too bad.

Jessica said...

I love that other people have kitchen disasters like me!!

Kim-may said...

haha. that makes me feel so much better that im not the only one that has disasters sometimes with cooking. i mean that in the best way! thanks for the good post!