Monday, February 18, 2013

The end of December through January

Well it looks like once again I am behind in my blogging.  The end of December was crazy busy as it is every year.  We worked on getting ready for Christmas and getting the house ready for Aaron's parents to come for Christmas.
 
Aaron decided to go with a BYU theme for his man cave in the basement. He bought a large sticker of the BYU stadium for the wall and I made BYU curtains for the windows.  I'm pretty proud of the curtains because they are the first curtains I have made that are lined and look like actual curtains.  
 

 



We didn't end up with many pictures from Christmas.  We turned on the video camera and ended up with over an hour of video but apparently forgot to take pictures.  These pictures are from Christmas Eve.  We had a nice Christmas Eve dinner with Aaron's parents and we let the kids open a couple of presents.

 
On Christmas Day we got up and opened presents and then in the afternoon we went to my parents house to have Christmas lunch and open more presents.  It was a very nice Christmas.  We had snow and got to enjoy Christmas at home with Aaron's parents and then we still got to see my family.  I think it was the best Christmas we have had in years.  I am especially excited because I got a new vacuum.  I have been begging for a nice vacuum and now I finally have one.  Aaron got a  remote starter for his car, so he doesn't freeze to death.  The kids all got Leappads and we got a lot of remote control vehicles.
 
 
On December 29th, Quin was blessed.  We did it in our home.  It was a really special evening.  It was especially nice to have so many worthy priesthood holders, who love Quin, there to participate.
 
 





The next picture is Quin and Aaron's parents.
Quin and his Uncle Mark, Grandpa Russell, Aaron, Grandpa Anderson and Uncle Klint.
Quin and my parents.
 
 
We had a New Year's Eve party at our house.  The kids hung out in the basement while the adults played games up stairs.
 
Then on New Year's day, we met my sister and her family at the park to sled.  We have done a lot of sledding this year and the kids love it.











Avalon is still enjoying her dance class and is looking forward to her recital.







Avalon got a makeup kit for Christmas.
 
Quin got this hat from his Uncle Jeff and Aunt Emily.  He loves it and grins when he puts it on. 
 
In January, I also worked on getting my office presentable for clients.  I found this first old chair for $5 at the DI.  I found the one with arms for $15 at Hidden Treasures.  I took the chairs and stripped them.  I don't know why I strip furniture.  It is a pain in the behind, especially in freezing weather.  Then I stained them grey.  I took linen and transferred a patent image on it.  Then I reupholstered the chairs with the linen. 
 
The first pictures are the before.


These next pictures are the after
 
 
 
I discovered this new thing called Gel Medium image transfer.  It is a way to take a laser printed image and transfer it to canvas or fabric.  It is the method I used to make the seat fabric for my chairs.  I also made three canvases that have patent images on them.  These I hung on the wall behind my desk.


I also made a clock for my office.  I found this old Naval pulley at the Army surplus store.  Aaron took it to work and had the back machined out so that the clock workings would fit in it.  Then I took apart a cheap clock from Walmart.  I painted the hands red and then put the clock workings in the pulley.  It turned out vintage and industrial looking.
 

 


Here is my office door with my name on it.
 


One of the last Saturdays in January, we had a chance to have a baby shower for my cousin Alison.  I didn't take any pictures, but it was a nice shower.  My cousins and Aunts came and we had a lot of fun.

January 30th was my nephew Paul's birthday.  We went with Halee and her kids to Arctic circle and the kids played on the playground.







 
 
Well, that was our January. 
 
 In other child related randomness, over the Christmas break, while Aaron's parents were here, we were at church and we sang the song "Elders of Israel".  Sterling listened to it carefully and when it was done, wanted to know why everyone was bidding Avalon farewell.  I guess during the chorus when they were singing "Oh Babylon, Oh Babylon, We bid thee farewell."  He thought they were singing to Avalon.


1 comment:

Becca's Blog said...

Great to catch up. I'm so glad you had the baby shower for Alison. It was a lot of fun and was good to see everybody.