Saturday, May 18, 2013

Charity and Kindness of Strangers

Today I have to be very grateful for the kindness and charity of strangers.  I have seen and benefited from a lot of this during Quin's surgery.

When we first got to Salt Lake, we stayed at the Ronald McDonald House.  The Ronald McDonald House is one of the most depressing and kind places I have every been.  There are encouraging quotes on all of the walls and you know that there are families staying there that have children that are terminally ill and you can't help but be sad.  At the same time, the Ronald McDonald House provides food to those staying there.  The rooms are $15 a night and they have resources to store pumped breast milk and other medical supplies.  It is a wonderful place and a sad place all at the same time.

Once Quin got out of ICU, I started staying in his room and Aaron headed home to take care of the other kids.  This is when I learned more about the kindness of the staff at Primary Children's Hospital.  They have done an amazing job taking care of all of Quin's needs.  If there is something that I think is bothering him, they take care of it.  They also encourage parents to be the child's advocate and so if I ask for something they do it.  This has been amazing to see.  They have taken him off pain medicines that I thought were bothering him and have come up with alternatives.  They have also taken the time to worry about how I am doing.  I also heard them looking for an "LDS Elder Employee".  I am assuming that someone here needed a blessing and the hospital was helping to make it happen.  My experience here has been difficult, but a blessing all at the same time.

An update on Quin, he had his bandage taken off yesterday and here is a picture of his wounds.
 
 
Yesterday, he also was feeling quite a bit better.  They took him off of his hardcore pain medicines and switched him to Tylenol and Ibuprofen.  I think just doing that has made him feel better.  He started nursing, eating graham crackers and baby food again.  It was a good day.


He also started smiling again.

1 comment:

Becca's Blog said...

Wow. I haven't read blogs for awhile but just saw yours. I'm so sorry that Quin had to have such a hard surgery but am so glad that things went well and that he's on the mend. He's such a cute little guy...I'm glad he's back to smiling!