

So, I've decided that Noah had it rough. He had to spend 40 days and 40 nights with bugs!
I have officially hit a point where I am sick of bugs. We moved to this new house and I swear, the bugs are trying to kill us and steal the children. Now, I didn't used to be this scared of bugs, but when it comes to bugs near my children, I'm terrified.
It all started when our back yard filled with flies at the beginning of the summer. The flies would get in the house whenever the door opened and then they would spend all day landing on us. One day, I discovered that one of the flies was biting the baby. So, Sterling and I went on a killing rampage (using the "Friend" magazine as a weapon) and he started using the phrase "Ucky Bugs".
Then we had an infestation of fruit flies. I think this was because of some boxes of citrus fruit we had forgotten that we had.
Then came the earwigs everywhere. Particularly at your feet when you were trying to go to the bathroom. I don't know if the earwigs other places do this, but the earwigs here can stand up on their back legs and give you really ferocious looks.
Then Sterling and I found a nest of outdoor cockroaches in the backyard. One of these stupid animals, wandered into our front room and died. Aaron wants me to point out that they are outdoor cockroaches and we do not have a cockroach infestation. I just hate cockroaches.
Next came the week that we couldn't use the laundry room because we had a spider the size of a quarter living in there.
Recently we have had crickets move in. Which aren't too bad, but I am still not happy about this.
Finally, today we found a scorpion on our living room wall. It was quite traumatic. Luckily, Halee came over right after the discovery and the two of us attempted to figure out what to do about the scorpion. First, we tried to get brave enough to put a cup over the scorpion so we could trap it and put it in the freezer. You see, we had been told that that was how you kill them. Of course neither of us was brave enough.
Oh, I forgot to mention the many panicked phone calls to Aaron and Mark begging them to come and take care of it. Apparently, neither of them loves us enough to come to our rescue.
Then we decided to tape a cup to the end of a rolling pin and trap it that way.
While all this was happening, the oldest two kids were in the backyard. They had stripped completely naked and were skinny dipping in the wading pool.
So, we (actually Halee, I was too scared) got the cup over the scorpion and then was trying to put a plate under the cup when the scorpion escaped. We screamed and pushed all of the kids outside. Madelynn (Halee's daughter) was crying and Sterling was telling her that it was okay, it was just a "Scary Bug".
Slowly, we went back into the house, but couldn't find the scorpion. A few minutes later, Halee realized she had left Paul outside in his car seat and went to rescue him and then all of us evacuated the house and went to Halee's.
(Funnily, as we were leaving our house, animal control was removing a growling and barking dog from the backyard of the neighbors across the street. I was sure the dog was going to attack us. It was just one of those days.)
Luckily, a friend of mine has a brother in law that is a bug guy and he was coming to spray her house today, so he came by and took care of the scorpion for us. Funny coincidence, he turned out to be a Ferguson of the Rexburg Ferguson's (as in Diet Center).
Oh and none of these pictures are actually from our house. I found them online, but you feel my pain.




6 comments:
Sick. That's why Idaho is such a great place. It is too cold for major bug infestations...that is except for the flying red ants that conveine for a reunion at my parents' house each August.
Anyway, I'd get the heck out of there and move back to paradise...scorpions make me sick!
I really do feel your pain.
I really hate scorpions too. Instead of the freezer you could try heating them up. If they get too hot they start stinging themselves until they die.
A few years ago my sister and her friends caught a scorpion in a jar and wanted to try the heating experiment. They weren't too bright (they were in high school) and dropped a lit match in the jar and screwed the top on. A few seconds later the top exploded off and the scorpion and jar went flying. You've never heard so much screaming in your life. It was quite entertaining!
I am Millie's niece and Ellen B's daughter and a blog leech. Becca is not happy with me for that reason. I also left Idaho in 1994. Becca feels sorry for me for that reason.
I lived in Gilbert for 11+ years and loved it there. Your bug blog begged me to comment. Hope you don't mind, especially since it is long.
You can kill a scorpion with a swift, hard, accurate whack with a fly swatter. It worked every time for us. Then we just vacuumed up the carcass. As we moved from one house to another in Gilbert, we accepted moving boxes which my friend had stored in her scorpion infested garage. (I didn't know it was infested until after we got the boxes, found scorpions, and started talking to her.) Only one got in the house, but we had several in our garage. We left the boxes for curb side pick up as soon as we figured it out.
Everyone in Maricopa County has a cricket story. Mine is one night I woke up grabbing something on my face. I sat up, hurled it against the wall and jumped out of bed in one motion, kind of gasping. My husband woke up with the commotion. We turned on the light and discovered a crumpled, mostly dead cricket on the floor by the wall where I flung it.
In our first house we really had roach problems. We were clean, I promise. We just had roaches. We lived across the street from the community park (water retention basin) and really close to a sewer vent. The roaches crawled up our pipes and would come out in the sinks, bathtubs, and shower. They always freaked me. One night I woke up with something crawling on my torso. I sat up in bed, smacking my body and grabbing at the thing crawling all over me. It was on my skin, under all my clothes. I was shrieking and whacking myself. I finally killed a nasty, huge, putrid, sewer roach somewhere on my belly. I was so puked out I had to take a shower and get clean clothes.
I am not sorry that Utah County where we moved has no roaches.
Good luck exterminating the bugs.
Lucy D
Lucy,
I remember you. How are things going? Thanks for the stories. The cockroach one made me cringe. I would have cried. You are much tougher than me.
Tallie
yuck! I feel your pain. I hate bugs!
Post a Comment