Monday, July 7, 2008

Jalapeno Crisis

So, I promised Mom that I would post this recipe:

Texas Salsa
2 cans shoe peg corn
1 can black eyed peas
1 can black eyed pease & jalapeno
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
4-5 medium size tomatoes, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro (discard stems)
1/3 bottle Zesty Italian dressing
1 mango, chopped

Combine all ingredients and serve with chips. If grocery doesn't sell black eyed peas w/ jalapeno, you may purchase a fresh jalapeno and dice it yourself. Makes approx 1 gallon. May freeze up to six months but much much better fresh!

I made this for the fourth of July while we were in Idaho and had a major Jalapeno crisis. I cut the Jalapeno and washed my hands very well so that I didn't get Jalapeno juice anywhere. Apparently Jalapeno juice is much harder to get rid of than I thought, though. Later on, my face started to burn where I had touched it. My mom suggested white vinegar but everywhere I rubbed the vinegar started to burn more and my eyes were watering from the vinegar fumes. Then I tried using had soap and a bubble of soap exploded and I got soap in my eyes. I tried to rinse them out, but then I had Jalapeno juice in my eyes. At this point, my entire face was red and I couldn't open my eyes.

It was quite tramatic, but finally I used Dove soap and it fixed it.

Anyway, it is wonderful salsa.

2 comments:

Angie said...

That salsa looks yummy.
I feel your pain on the burning pepper sensation. That's happened to me before with a Serrano pepper. It was awful. I now only chop peppers with gloves on.

Heather said...

I've been burned by peppers, too. I used a sample of baby milk soap that I had--worked like a charm. I wonder if it was the milk? Sounds like a good recipe, though!