Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Renaissance Festival and Uncle Bear's

Today we took the kids to the Renaissance Festival. For those of you who aren't from Arizona, the Renaissance Festival is an event where you enter what is supposed to be a Renaissance kingdom. People dress in costume. There are shops that sale everything from swords to costumes. They sell Turkey legs and have performers in a number of different locations throughout the Festival.


We were supposed to be going with Aaron's sister's family, but they couldn't come. Sterling was very excited to go. He even had a costume. His cousins always dress up, so we made a costume for Sterling. I am pretty proud of this costume. It's a $5 costume. I found the helmet, shield and sword at the dollar store and then I made the tunic. He looked very cute and got a lot of compliments.





Avalon was excited to be there too.



This man did a Falconry presentation.


They had rides for the kids. None of the rides had motors, though. This poor guy had to push a bar and spin the kids.




Sterling liked the greyhounds at the Greyhound Guild booth.

Sterling took these pictures. This is a group called the London Broil. They do comedy and juggling.




This guy hooked firecrackers to his chest and blew himself up and then had the audience throw water balloons at him.
The kids had a lot of fun playing in the wooden toy store. They had rubber band driven boats.
Now in my final note, I wanted to make a statement about Uncle Bear's. Uncle Bear's is that dog restaurant that we went to on Valentine's Day. I kind of disparaged it at the time, but we have since then come to love the restaurant. We take the kids there almost every weekend. It is a good place to take kids. It is loud and the floor is already a mess, so no one notices if our kids trash the place and scream. The food is also really good. Sterling likes their hot dogs and fries. Avalon is a fry fan and Aaron and I like their pulled pork barbecue sandwiches.

No comments: